Newt eDNA service 2019 – Call us now to book your analysis slots
Wildcare work with Applied Genomics Ltd to offer an eDNA service for sampling Great Crested Newts. Kits are £200 each excluding VAT for our standard 5 day service. Shipping is a flat fee of £40 for delivery and return for up to 6 kits per shipment.
We also have a priority 2-day service and a 10-day discounted bulk order service. Please do contact us for more information or a quotation.
Buying from us is simple:
1. Buy your kits from Wildcare (call or email us to make sure you get the dates you need). Our GCN Molecular Detection kits are assembled to order in accordance with the DEFRA WC1067 Guidance. They contain everything required for field sampling of Great Crested Newt eDNA from pond water.
2. Collect your samples: Using our survey kits, surveys may be undertaken in a single visit to the target pond made between 15th April and 30th June. Water samples must be collected by a licensed GCN surveyor following the methods described in the DEFRA WC1067 Technical Report.
3. Return your samples to Applied Genomics. Full information comes with the kits. Samples returned to Applied Genomics’ laboratory, using our prepaid courier service, will be analysed in accordance with the laboratory protocols described in the DEFRA WC1067 Guidance.
- purpose-built laboratory for environmental DNA applications
- strict laboratory management systems to ensure proper procedures are followed
- guaranteed 5 working days turnaround from receipt of sample
- 2 working day turnaround available at an additional cost
Read our blog post for more information about how to carry out an eDNA survey for GCN.
What is a GCN eDNA survey?
Following a DEFRA-funded research project (Biggs et al, 2014), Natural England have approved the use of an environmental DNA analysis protocol for detection of the Great Crested Newt (GCN) using pond water samples (DEFRA WC1067 Technical Report).
Often referred to as an eDNA survey, environmental DNA is genetic material that is released by organisms living in their environment. Sources of genetic material may include, faeces, urine, skin cells, mucous, gametes. The DNA in these sources will degrade over time but can persist in the environment for long enough that we can detect the presence of the organism.
In pond water samples, environmental DNA may persist for 7 to 21 days. Great Crested Newt may be detected from pond water samples, particularly during the newt breeding season, between the 15th April and 30th June, when it is expected the concentrations of genetic material in pond water samples will be optimal for this test.
Principal advantages of eDNA surveys include:
- Greater detection rate
- A DEFRA research project (WC0167) found that using environmental DNA from pond samples detected newts 99% of the time, compared to using a combination of conventional survey techniques, which returned a 95% detection rate.
- Requires a single visit
- Detecting newts using environmental DNA only requires a single visit to each pond, compared to conventional surveys methods which can require many repeat visits to achieve a similar result.
We aim for next working day delivery on all UK mainland orders received before 3.00pm. Where products need to be made to order or are not a regular stock item, or during busy times of year, despatch times may be longer.
If your order is urgent please call us on 01451 833 181. There is usually an additional charge for timed delivery.
We will always use a reputable courier company and require a signature on delivery. Smaller items are usually shipped using Royal Mail or DPD, and larger items are sent using TNT or Tuffnells. Palletised deliveries are with Pallex.
We will email you shipping confirmation after your order has been despatched. Where available, you will also receive tracking notification by email or text. If you need to track your parcel urgently then please contact us.
We can deliver to anywhere in the world, but you may need to contact us for a quote.
If your order doesn’t qualify for free shipping then UK mainland delivery starts at £6.67 ex VAT, while Highlands and Islands delivery starts at £12.50. You can calculate shipping costs using the basket.
If you receive damaged items or the wrong goods, please let us know straight away so that we can arrange for them to be returned to us and replaced as quickly as possible.
You will need to obtain a Returns Number - please call us on 01451 833181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please return goods, WITH THE RETURNS NUMBER MARKED ON THE PARCEL to: Wildcare, Eastgate House, Moreton Road, Longborough, GL56 0QJ
We may ask for a photograph any damaged items before we agree to replace them.