Newt eDNA service 2021 – Call us now to book your analysis slots
Wildcare work with Applied Genomics Ltd to offer an eDNA service for sampling Great Crested Newts. Kits are £200 each excluding VAT for our standard 5 day service. Shipping is a flat fee of £40 for delivery and return for up to 6 kits per shipment.
We also have a priority 2-day service and a 10-day discounted bulk order service. Please do contact us for more information or a quotation.
Choose from our three GCN services:
- Standard Kit - 5 day turnaround - £200 each
- Economy (12 or more kits - 10 working days) - £150.00 each
- Priority 2 day turnaround (subject to availability) - £250.00
What is included in a EDNA Kit?
- 1 x 30ml dipper ladle - for collecting pond water
- 1 x free-standing sample collection bag - for mixing of subsamples
- 2 x latex gloves - to avoid contamination during sampling
- 1 x test kit box - for secure storage of sampling tubes during transport
- 6 x 50ml sample tubes - these are filled with 35ml ethanol preservative, pH buffer and DNA degradation control
- 1 x plastic transfer pipette - for topping up the sample tubes with pond water collected in the sample bag
- 1 x sealable mailing bag with return address label - to reduce the risk of leakage during transport
- 1 x sampling instructions leaflet
Buying from us is simple:
1. Buy your kits from Wildcare (call or email us to make sure you get the dates you need). Our GCN Molecular Detection kits are assembled to order in accordance with the DEFRA WC1067 Guidance. They contain everything required for field sampling of Great Crested Newt eDNA from pond water.
2.Collect your samples: Using our survey kits, surveys may be undertaken in a single visit to the target pond made between 15th April and 30th June. Water samples must be collected by a licensed GCN surveyor following the methods described in the DEFRA WC1067 Technical Report.
3.Return your samples to Applied Genomics. Full information comes with the kits. Samples returned to Applied Genomics’ laboratory, using our prepaid courier service, will be analysed in accordance with the laboratory protocols described in the DEFRA WC1067 Guidance.
Why choose Applied Genomics EDNA Kit?
- Purpose-built laboratory for environmental DNA applications
- Strict laboratory management systems to ensure proper procedures are followed
- Guaranteed 5 working days turnaround from receipt of sample
- 2 working day turnaround available at an additional cost
- 10/10 on proficiency test set up by natural England – FAPAS subsid of FERA (10 sample kits – Control testing)
Read our blog post for more information about how to carry out an eDNA survey for GCN.
What is a GCN eDNA survey?
Following a DEFRA-funded research project (Biggs et al, 2014), Natural England have approved the use of an environmental DNA analysis protocol for detection of the Great Crested Newt (GCN) using pond water samples (DEFRA WC1067 Technical Report).
Often referred to as an eDNA survey, environmental DNA is genetic material that is released by organisms living in their environment. Sources of genetic material may include, faeces, urine, skin cells, mucous, gametes. The DNA in these sources will degrade over time but can persist in the environment for long enough that we can detect the presence of the organism.
In pond water samples, environmental DNA may persist for 7 to 21 days. Great Crested Newt may be detected from pond water samples, particularly during the newt breeding season, between the 15th April and 30th June, when it is expected the concentrations of genetic material in pond water samples will be optimal for this test.
Principal advantages of eDNA surveys include:
- Greater detection rate
- A DEFRA research project (WC0167) found that using environmental DNA from pond samples detected newts 99% of the time, compared to using a combination of conventional survey techniques, which returned a 95% detection rate.
- Requires a single visit
- Detecting newts using environmental DNA only requires a single visit to each pond, compared to conventional surveys methods which can require many repeat visits to achieve a similar result.
Shipping charges are calculated at checkout stage based on the total weight of your order, the type of product and delivery postcode. We aim for next working day delivery on all UK mainland orders received before 2:30pm.
Prices quoted below exclude VAT.
UK mainland delivery starts at £7.92. Pallet deliveries vary depending on your postcode.
Highlands and Islands delivery starts at £25. For larger orders and pallet loads you will need to contact us for a quote. The following postcodes and areas are considered to be Highlands and Islands:
AB36-38, AB55-56, FK17-21, HS all postcodes, IV all postcodes, KA27-28, KW1-17, PA20-78, PH19-50, ZE1-3
Channel Islands, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Scilly Isles
Northern Ireland delivery starts at £20 rising to £90 for orders up to 60kg. Please contact us for a quote for larger or palletised orders.
How quickly will I get my order?
We aim for next working day delivery on all UK mainland orders received before 2.30pm. Where products need to be made to order or are not a regular stock item, or during busy times of year, despatch times may be longer.
Typical delivery times are:
- 1 to 3 working days within the UK.
- 3 to 5 working days within Europe.
- 7 to 14 working days for the rest of the world.
If delivery is likely to take longer than this we will let you know as soon as we become aware of the delay.
If you need an item by a particular date please tell us when you place the order - it if is urgent, we recommend you call us on 01451 833181 to place your order.
How will I know when my order has been dispatched?
We will email you confirmation after your order has been despatched. You might not receive this confirmation email if you made a spelling mistake when you entered your email address. Login and check your registered email address. Spam filters in your email program may also block this type of email. Please check your junk mail folders.
Will I receive online tracking information?
We send parcels of all shapes and sizes so we use several different couriers and haulage companies. Some of these make tracking information available online, and where this is the case you will receive notification by email or text. If you need to track your parcel urgently then please contact us.
What happens if my order doesn't arrive?
If you do not receive your goods within 5 working days for UK orders, or 2 weeks for international orders, please contact us for tracking information.
If your goods do not arrive within 30 days of your order being accepted, please contact us within 40 days and you can opt for a full refund or for us to make good the non-delivery.
Items that are lost will be replaced or refunded by us.
What happens if my order arrives damaged?
Please contact us within 5 working days of receiving your order. You may need to obtain a Returns Number, and return the goods to us; parcels without a Returns Number may be refused. By prior agreement, we will refund the costs of return shipping by Royal Mail first class recorded delivery, or will arrange a collection for items over 2kg. Once we have received the damaged goods we will despatch a replacement or refund you in full.
How will my order be sent?
We will always use a reputable courier company. Smaller items are usually shipped using Royal Mail or Interlink, and larger items are sent usingTNT or Tuffnells. Palletised deliveries are with Hacklings.
A signature will always be required, so please ensure that someone is available to sign for your parcel. Please also ensure you either check the item for damages before signing, or sign for the goods as unchecked. If you need to arrange delivery for a specific time please contact us. There is usually an additional charge for timed delivery.
What countries do you ship to?
We can deliver to anywhere in the world, but you may need to contact us for a quote. You can purchase online if your order is being delivered to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Outside these countries you will need to place your order by phone or email.
If you are outside of the EU you may be liable for import taxes.
Important Information About Backorders
At Wildcare there are times when items are only available on a backorder basis, either due to high demand or if the item is a special order item. We refer to these as ‘backorder items.
Backorder items are clearly listed on our website as ‘Order To Reserve Stock (Backorder)’. Items that are in stock and ready to be shipped immediately are listed as ‘In Stock’.
When you place an order for a back order item or an order that includes back order items, a member of our team will be in contact within 48 hours of your order to confirm the lead time for delivery. For any queries before then, please call us on: 01451 833 181
We cannot guarantee that a backordered item will come back into stock or be delivered for a specific date, however we will always do our best to keep you informed and updated.
If your back order is urgent or required within a specific time frame we suggest to call us on 01451 833 181 so we can keep your requirements in mind throughout the waiting period.
If you receive damaged items or the wrong goods, please let us know straight away so that we can arrange for them to be returned to us and replaced as quickly as possible.
Please return goods, WITH THE RETURNS NUMBER MARKED ON THE PARCEL to: Wildcare, Eastgate House, Moreton Road, Longborough, GL56 0QJ
We may ask for a photograph any damaged items before we agree to replace them.