...by Mark Gardener
Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool that can transform the way you use data. This book explains in comprehensive and user-friendly detail how to manage, make sense of, explore and share data, giving scientists at all levels the skills they need to maximize the usefulness of their data.
Readers will learn how to use Excel to:
* Build a dataset – how to handle variables and notes, rearrangements and edits to data.
* Check datasets – dealing with typographic errors, data validation and numerical errors.
* Make sense of data – including datasets for regression and correlation; summarizing data with averages and variability; and visualizing data with graphs, pivot charts and sparklines.
* Explore regression data – finding, highlighting and visualizing correlations.
* Explore time-related data – using pivot tables, sparklines and line plots.
* Explore association data – creating and visualizing contingency tables.
* Explore differences – pivot tables and data visualizations including box-whisker plots.
* Share data – methods for exporting and sharing your datasets, summaries and graphs.
Alongside the text, Have a Go exercises, Tips and Notes give readers practical experience and highlight important points, and helpful self-assessment exercises and summary tables can be found at the end of each chapter. Supplementary material can also be downloaded on the companion website.
Managing Data Using Excel is an essential book for all scientists and students who use data and are seeking to manage data more effectively. It is aimed at scientists at all levels but it is especially useful for university-level research, from undergraduates to postdoctoral researchers.
About the author
Mark Gardener is an ecologist, lecturer and writer and has worked as a teacher and supervisor around the world. He runs courses in ecology, data analysis and R (a statistical programming language) for a variety of organizations.
Paperback ISBN: 978-1-78427-007-0
Hardback ISBN: 978-1-78427-008-7
eBook ISBN: 9 78-1-78427-009-4
Publication Date: 23/02/2015
Dimensions: 234 x 156mm
We aim for next working day delivery on all UK mainland orders received before 3.00pm. Where products need to be made to order or are not a regular stock item, or during busy times of year, despatch times may be longer.
If your order is urgent please call us on 01451 833 181. There is usually an additional charge for timed delivery.
We will always use a reputable courier company and require a signature on delivery. Smaller items are usually shipped using Royal Mail or DPD, and larger items are sent using TNT or Tuffnells. Palletised deliveries are with Pallex.
We will email you shipping confirmation after your order has been despatched. Where available, you will also receive tracking notification by email or text. If you need to track your parcel urgently then please contact us.
We can deliver to anywhere in the world, but you may need to contact us for a quote.
If your order doesn’t qualify for free shipping then UK mainland delivery starts at £6.67 ex VAT, while Highlands and Islands delivery starts at £12.50. You can calculate shipping costs using the basket.
If you receive damaged items or the wrong goods, please let us know straight away so that we can arrange for them to be returned to us and replaced as quickly as possible.
You will need to obtain a Returns Number - please call us on 01451 833181 or email email@example.com
Please return goods, WITH THE RETURNS NUMBER MARKED ON THE PARCEL to: Wildcare, Eastgate House, Moreton Road, Longborough, GL56 0QJ
We may ask for a photograph any damaged items before we agree to replace them.